This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Active and Passive Voice Exercises for Class 5 CBSE With Answers PDF
Voice determines the form that the verb takes in a sentence. It also determines the status of the subject and the object. Voice can be Active or Passive. Active Voice: A verb is said to be in Active Voice when its subject acts or when the emphasis is on the doer or the subject.
- Mohan sang a song.
- Here, the subject Mohan is acting.
Passive Voice: A verb is in Passive Voice when the subject is being acted upon or when the emphasis is on the object or the work done.
- A song was sung by Mohan.
- Here, the subject is being acted upon.
Voice changes occur only in transitive verbs. The subject of the active voice becomes the object of the passive voice.
Active Voice :
- Subject + Verb + Object
- Mohan reads a book.
Passive Voice :
- Object + helping verb + past participle + by + subject
- A book is read by Mohan.
When the subject of active voice becomes object of the passive voice.
a. ‘He’ changes into ‘him’. Similarly, ‘she’ becomes ‘her’, ‘we’ becomes ‘us’, ‘they’ becomes ‘them’, ‘l’ becomes ‘me’.
b. We have to convert the given verb into past participle form.
c. We have to use an appropriate preposition like ‘by’ before the passive object whenever it is mentioned.
Look at the following examples.
- Active: I see a clear sky.
- Passive: A clear sky is seen by me.
- Active: Virat eats chocolate.
- Passive: Chocolate is eaten by Virat.
- Active: Rakesh caught the burglar.
- Passive: The burglar was caught by Rakesh.
- Active: Piyush saw Jimmy.
- Passive: Jimmy was seen by Piyush.
- Active: Your mom will forgive you.
- Passive: You will be forgiven by your mom.
- Active: Ria will help Tia.
- Passive: Tia will be helped by Ria.
Sentence that have two objects in the active voice can be changed to the passive in two ways.
- Active : She gave me a bouquet.
- Passive : A bouquet was given to me by her.
- I was given a bouquet by her.
- Active : We gave him a watch.
- Passive : A watch was given to him by us.
- He was given a watch by us.
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following questions as per the story.
1. Where did Sahil perform? ___________________
2. How did Sahil perform? ___________________
3. How did the college principal react to Sahil’s performance? ___________________
B. Here are some sentences from the story above. Convert the following sentences from Active to Passive sentences.
1. Everyone liked his performance. ___________________
2. The college principal liked the performance. ___________________
3. She offered him the cash prize of Rs. 5000/- for his performance. ___________________
Active and Passive Voice Exercises with Answers for Class 5 CBSE PDF
A. Change the following sentences from Active to Passive Voice.
1. She teaches us French. ___________________
2. She bought a pair of shoes. ___________________
3. She taught him a lesson. ___________________
4. The king punished the servant. ___________________
5. Ditya showed us some magic. ___________________
B. Change the following sentences from Passive to Active Voice.
1. Jim was hit by Jimmy. ___________________
2. She will be punished by them. ___________________
3. The table will be made by the carpenter. ___________________
4. She is loved by all her relatives. ___________________
5. The carpet was sold by the shopkeeper. ___________________
C. For each sentence in the active voice, tick the correct sentence which is in the passive voice.
1. Rohan closed the door.
The door was closed by he. ( )
By him the door is closed. ( )
The door was closed by Rohan. ( )
2. Pawan scored a goal.
A goal is scored by Pawan. ( )
A goal was scored by Pawan. ( )
A goal is being scored by Pawan. ( )
3. Anmol makes a kite.
A kite is made by Anmol. ( )
A kite was being made by Anmol. ( )
A kite is being made by Anmol. ( )
4. Grandfather caught a cat.
A cat has been caught by grandfather. ( )
A cat was caught by grandfather. ( )
A cat are caught by grandfather. ( )
5. Sarika pats the dog.
The dog was pat by Sarika. ( )
The dog is pat by Sarika. ( )
The dog is patted by Sarika. ( )