Learninsta presents the core concepts of Biology with high-quality research papers and topical review articles.
An Overview Of Afforestation And Its Acheivements
Afforestation is planting of trees where there was no previous tree coverage and the conversion of non-forested lands into forests by planting suitable trees to retrieve the vegetation. Example: Slopes of dams affrested to reduce water runoff erosion and siltation. It can also provide a range of environmental services including carbon sequestration, water retention.
- To increase forest cover, planting more trees, increases O2 production and air quality.
- Rehabilitation of degraded forests to increase carbon fiation and reducing CO2 from atmosphere.
- Raising bamboo plantations.
- Mixed plantations of minor forest produce and medicinal plants.
- Regeneration of indigenous herbs / shrubs.
- Awareness creation, monitoring and evaluation.
- To increase the level and availability of water table or ground water and also to reduce nitrogen leaching in soil and nitrogen contamination of drinking water, thus making it pure not polluted with nitrogen.
- Nature aided artifiial regeneration.
- Degraded forests were restored
- Community assets like overhead tanks bore-wells, hand pumps, community halls, libraries, etc were established
- Environmental and ecological stability was maintained.
- Conserved bio-diversity, wildlife and genetic resources.
- Involvement of community especially women in forest management.