Articles are used to indicate the number of singular nouns (a, an) and to specify which noun is being talked about (the). A and an are indefinite articles. They are used to refer to a singular countable noun in general or for the first time.
Basic English Grammar rules can be tricky. In this article, we’ll get you started with the basics of sentence structure, punctuation, parts of speech, and more. https://ncertmcq.com/articles-exercises-for-class-5/
Exercise on Articles for Class 5 CBSE with Answers PDF
There are two types of articles: the definite article (the) and the indefinite articles (a, an).
We usually use the indefinite article ‘a’ ‘an’, first to mention some person or thing. By doing that, we don’t have to be clear about which particular person or thing we are referring to. When we refer to the same person or the thing again, we use the definite article the to indicate the person or the thing already mentioned. There are times when we don’t have to use any one of the articles. Such a situation is called zero article,
We use the:
- before the names of special persons, places or things: the Pope, the President of India, the North Pole, the Earth, the sky
- before names of famous buildings: the Red Fort, the Great Wall of China, The Taj Mahal
- before a singular noun that refers to a whole class or group of people or things the middle class, the homeless, the Hindus, the Sikhs
- before the names of rivers, seas, oceans, mountain ranges, groups of islands the Nile, the Dead Sea, the Andaman and Nicobar islands, the Himalayas
- before the names of holy books: The Ramayana, The Gita, The Bible
- before the names of newpapers and magazines: The Tribune, The India Today, The hindu
- before the superlative degree of adjectives: the best, the greatest
- before heavenly bodies: the moon, the sun, the earth, the sky
- before the dates of months, the ordinal numbers and invention: the 4th march, the First, the second, the radio, the television, the telephone.
- before the names of musical instruments: the tabla, the voilin, the sitar, the harmonium.
We use a:
- when we mention something for the first time: I saw a dog.
- before a word which begins with a consonant: There is a woman waiting for you.
- before a word with a long sound of u: a university, a uniform, a useful book, a European, a unique
- before the word ‘one’ because one sounds as if it begins with a ‘W’ (wun) a one-way street, a one-eyed monster, a one-year course, a one-week holiday, etc
- before religions and nationalities: a Christian, an Englishman, an Indian.
- before the names of profession: a doctor, an engineer, a waiter.
The indefinite article a also means one. We can use a or one as follows:
- He keeps a/one dozen snakes as pets.
- I have told you a/one hundred times to leave me alone!
We use an
- before a noun which begins with a vowel sound They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- before a singular noun (person or thing), which begins with a vowel and which shows only one in number. She’s an only child.
- before a noun which begins with a vowel and is representative of a group, species, etc. An ostrich has only two toes on each foot.
- before a noun that begins with a silent h an hour, an honest man, an heir, an honour, an honourable man, etc.
- before abbreviations, some of which begin with a consonant an MP, an SP, an X-ray
Articles Exercises for Class 5 with Answers PDF
Articles Exercises With Answers Pdf Class 5
A. Use of a, an or the to fill in the blanks.
1. ___________ dog is ___________ useful animal.
2. Honest people speak ___________ truth.
3. Look at ___________ white cloud.
4. ___________ world is ___________ happy place to most people.
5. ___________ sun shines brightly.
6. Our sun is in fact ___________ star in the universe.
7. I first met him ___________ year ago.
8. It is ___________ island of great beauty.
9. To me, it is ___________ only island of great beauty.
10. ___________ horse is ___________ wild horse.
11. Riding ___________ horse is ___________ great experience.
12. ___________ lion is ___________ king of beasts.
13. Some people keep ___________ snake as ___________ pet.
14. His mother told him, “You are ___________ untidy boy.”
15. Look at me, I am always ___________ happy person.
16. I’ll give him ___________ good news now.
17. French is ___________ language of people of France.
18. He looks as wise as ___________ owl.
19. ___________ Ganga is important river.
20. ___________ European called at my office yesterday.
Article Exercise For Class 5
B. Fill in articles (a, an, the) where required.
- I bought puppy and pair of kittens. Puppy was quite expensive, but kittens weren’t.
- I bought a puppy and a pair of kittens. The puppy was quite expensive, but the kittens weren’t.
1. Buy me can of soda from store, please.
2. Is that frog or toad?
3. Are you coming for movie with me?
4. Music is great source of enjoyment.
5. There wasn’t soul to be seen in park.
6. He decided to enter priesthood.
7. This is latest news from Olympic Stadium
8. In rage, she tore letter into pieces.
9. Look! Man pictured on billboard is eating burger.
10. Factory had been built on piece of waste ground.
Article Worksheet For Class 5
C. In the passage given below there is an article missing in each line. The place where the word is missing has been marked with a slash (/). Write the missing word in the space provided. The first one has been done for you.
It was/first Sunday of that month. 1. the
Since/sky was clear, father told 2. __________
Chotu to get ready for/experience 3. __________
in hunting. Chotu was basically/kind 4. __________
boy who would not even hurt/ant 5. __________
how could he ever face/ferocious 6. __________
animals in/jungle? But how could 7. __________
he refuse father? Father was/strict 8. __________
man. Chotu gathered up/little courage he 9. __________
had and said in/feeble voice, “Father I’m scared.” 10. __________
Articles Worksheet For Class 5 With Answers
D. In the following passage, there is an error (related to an article) in each line against which a blank is shown. The error has been written in bold letters. Write the correct article in the space provided. The first one has been done for you.
A ball where Cinderella met her Prince 1. the
in the dancing party, had nothing to do with 2. __________
dancing. At Easter during a Feast of food 3. __________
at an church of Naples, Italy, 4. __________
Focus it was the custom for choir boys to 5. __________
sing and dance around a Dean in the Church 6. __________
The Dean would throw an ball to them 7. __________
One by one and they would catch a ball 8. __________
We and throw it back to him, a boys had to sing 9. __________
and dance. Later at a private parties 10. __________
in homes, an ball was thrown to keep 11. __________
a dancers on their toes. 12. __________