This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Compound Nouns Exercises for Class 4 CBSE with Answers PDF
- A compound word is formed when two words are put together to make a new word with a different meaning.
- Some compound nouns are written as one word, some as two or more words, and some as hyphenated words.
- One word compounds like- baseball, homework, classroom, laptop are called closed compounds.
- Two or more words compounds like- police officer, high school, New Mexico are called open compounds.
- Words with hyphens like mother-in-law, one-third, time-out, right-of-way are called hyphenated compounds.
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following questions as per the story.
1. Who went to the supermarket with Mina? _____________
2. What did they drink before moving to grocery section? _____________
3. What did they decide to buy? _____________
B. Fill in the blanks with the compound word from the story given above.
1. Closed Compound word _____________
2. Open Compound word _____________
3. Hyphenated Compound word _____________
Compound Nouns Exercises with Answers for Class 4 CBSE PDF
A. Below are some closed compound words. Write the two words that are used to make them.
- Earthquake – earth + quake
1. footstool _____________+_____________
2. dogcatcher _____________+_____________
3. classwork _____________+_____________
4. playpen _____________+_____________
5. scarecrow _____________+_____________
6. cookbook _____________+_____________
7. hosrseshoe _____________+_____________
B. Match the words on the left with the words on the right to form compound words. Write them in the blanks. The first one has been done for you.
C. Use hyphens wherever necessary to make the following words as compound words. The first one has been done for you.
1. motherinlaw mother-in-law
2. onethird _____________
3. selfemployed _____________
4. readymade _____________
5. passersby _____________
6. fiftyfifty _____________
7. indepth _____________
8. runnerup _____________
9. eyeopener _____________