In Online Education Letter writing is an essential skill. Despite the prevalence of emails and text messages, everyone has to write letters at some point. Letters of complaint, job applications, thank you letters, letters requesting changes or – making suggestions – the list goes on and on. Encouraging children to write letters from an early age will improve their communication, social and handwriting skills, and teach them what they need to know about writing and structuring letters.
This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used. You can also visit the most accurate and elaborate NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English. Every question of the textbook has been answered here. https://ncertmcq.com/formal-letter-writing-topics-for-class-6/
Children are expected to learn how to write letters, notes and messages. They have to be aware of different styles of writing, the use of formal and informal letters, and to select style and vocabulary appropriate to the intended reader.
There are two types of letter:
- Formal letters
- Informal letters
Online Education for Formal Letter Writing Topics for Class 6 Format, Samples Formal letters
- Written only for official purposes
- Written to The Editor, The Principal, The Municipal Commissioner, The Secretory of a Society, The Mayor etc.
- Should be brief and precise.
- Formal tone and polite expression.
- Preferably left side of the page.
These are sometimes known as business letters. They are written in a strictly formal style. Such letters are always written on an A4 (8″ x 11″ sheet of paper. They can be folded three times so that the address to which the letter is being sent can appear in the window of a business envelope. The layout is always the same.
Formal Letter For Class 6
- The senders address is put at the top right hand side
- Include telephone number and email if available
- The address of the person receiving the letter goes on the left hand side below the sender’s address
- The date
- Greeting – Dear Sir or Madam. You can use the titles Miss, Mrs. or Mr. if you know the name of the person to whom you are writing
- The message
- Complimentary close – Yours faithfully or Yours sincerely
- Write name in block letters (this is to ensure that the person receiving the letter knows exactly who has sent it.
- Signatures may not be very clear).
Formal Letter Topics For Class 6
Layout for a formal letter
|Sender’s address and another contact
|Recipient’s address Reference number if available|
|Dear ………. (If name is unknown use Sir/Madam)|
|Sum up your main point and state that you look forward to a response to your letter/query/complaint etc if appropriate.
Thank you, in advance for taking time to respond to my
|Yours faithfully – (if the greeting is to Sir/Madam)
Yours sincerely – (if the name is given)
Formal Letter Writing Topics Solved Examples for Class 6 CBSE
Formal Letters (Official)
Formal Letter Questions Question 1.
You are Munish/Surekha, a resident of D-34, Ras Vihar, Dwarka, New Delhi. Open manholes in your colony Kave become a source of danger for the pedestrions and vehicle owners. Write a letter to the Municipal Commissioner complaining about this problem. Do not exceed 100 words.
D-34, Ras Vihar .
Dwarka New Delhi
10th March, 20XX ,
The Municipal Commissioner
Sub: Regarding the problem of open manholes
I wish to draw your kind attention towards the unsanitary and dangerous conditions prevailing in Ras Vihar, Dwarka, New Delhi. Most of the manholes of this colony are open which have become a source of danger for the pedestrians and vehicle owners. Drains are broken at several places. Dirty water is all over on the roads. It is quite in view of the above, please pay a personal visit to this colony and initiate action against the erratic staff.
Formal Letter Topics Question 2.
Write an application to the principal asking for arranging a trip.
18 March 20XX
Subject: Permission to arrange a trip
I, on behalf of the students of class VI, request your kind permission and orders to arrange the trip to Nainital in summer vacations. Our class-teacher, Ms. Reena Bansal and English teacher Ms. Arti Singh have kindly given their consent to accompany us. Nainital is a well-developed hill station, where we can have trekking and camping facilities. This excursion will provide us confidence and build an interpersonal relationships. I hope that you will grant this permission. The students will contribute but all the arrangements must be made under your guidance and approval.
Formal Letter Writing Topics Question 3.
Write an application to the principal of your college seeking permission to stage a drama in the college auditorium.
12 November 20XX
DAV Public School
Subject: Request for permission to stage the drama in the school auditorium.
We, the students of the school hereby request that we would like to stage a drama called “Hamlet” by Shakespeare in our school auditorium. Our English Lecturer has already given necessary guidance to stage the drama. At this point of time, we need your permission, presence and some financial help to make it successful. I, therefore, pray and hope that you would be kind enough to make our wish successful and oblige thereby.
Formal Letter Class 6 Question 4.
Write an application to the principal of your school for setting-up a canteen in your school.
12th November 20XX
The Principal ABP School
Subject: Request for setting up a canteen
We, the students of your college, wish to state that ours is one of the most famous school in the district but there is no canteen in our college. As a result, we are compelled to take unhygienic food from road side hotels and many students are falling victim to various diseases. So, we are badly in need of a canteen in our college. We, therefore, request and hope that you would be kind enough to set up a canteen in our school and oblige.
Formal Letter Questions For Class 6 Question 5.
Write an application to the Mayor of the municipality of your colony asking him to provide street lights in your locality.
12th November 20XX
The Mayor/ South
Pune City Corporation
Subject: Prayer for street lights.
I, Kishan Singh on behalf informs inhabitants of South Pune, would like to state that most of the streets of our locality are without street lights. As the streets remain dark, many crimes take place here. People are afraid of going anywhere at night. So, we want to get rid of this problem. We, therefore, pray and hope that you would be kind enough to provide street lights and oblige thereby.
Secretary, South Pune City
Formal Letter Writing For Class 6 Question 6.
Writing an application to the principal of your school/college/institute asking leave.
19 March 20XX
Swayam International school,
This is to state that I am Sudhir of class 6th studying in the school. I am suffering from headache/high fever since two days. So, I am unable to attend the school/class today from 19 March to 21 March 20XX. Kindly grant me leave for three days and oblige.
Letter Writing For Class 6 Question 7.
Write an application to the principal of your school for fee concession.
Most respectfully I wish to state that I am a student of class 6th in the school. The financial condition of my family is very bad. My father’s monthly income is 5900. He has to support a family of six members. He is not in a position to pay my fees. But I have a keen desire to get school education as I am meritorious student. Kindly grant me full’fee concession and oblige.
Roll. No. 31
Write an application to your headmaster for early leave from school after 4th period.
26 April 20XX
The Headmaster, R.M. School
Subject: Early leave from school after 4th period.
Most humbly, I wish to state that I am a student of class VI in your school. Today I am experiencing have a headache after the second period in the school. I am feeling uneasy. I am unable to continue the rest of the period. I may need to go and see the doctor. May I therefore, request you to grant me leave to go home early from school.
Class VI Roll No. 16
Formal Letter Writing Topics Practice Examples for Class 6 CBSE
Formal Letters (Official)
- Application to the principal for sick leave
- Application to the principal of your school asking him/her to change your section giving a suitable reason
- You belong to a family with low income. Your father cannot pay your school fee as he has to pay for your brother’s school fee also. Write an application to your principal for fee concession.
- Leave for an urgent piece of work (explaining the nature of work) :
- You are Raghav and you are often late to school due to frequent traffic jams. Write a letter to the Traffic Police Commissioner of your city to do the needful to check the problem.
- Write a letter to the editor of ‘The Times of India’, expressing your strong feelings about DJ sound system being played till late in the night in your locality. You are Prakash of 74, Shiv Colony, Hapur.
- Write a letter to the editor of a leading newspaper expressing your concern about the image of cricket going down nowadays.
- There is no civic sense in citizens. With the help of this visual, write a letter to the editor of ‘The Tribune’ expressing your strong feelings against unsanitary conditions in the city. You are Vijay of 274/16, Prerna Vihar, Rohit Nagar.
- You saw the following picture of vehicular pollution; write a letter to the editor of ‘The Times of India’ expressing your strong feelings.