On this page, you will find Food Where Does it Come From Class 6 Notes Science Chapter 1 Pdf free download. CBSE NCERT Class 6 Science Notes Chapter 1 Food Where Does it Come From will seemingly help them to revise the important concepts in less time.
CBSE Class 6 Science Chapter 1 Notes Food Where Does it Come From
Food Where Does it Come From Class 6 Notes Understanding the Lesson
1. Anything which we eat to live is called food.
2. Food is a substance that we eat to grow, to get energy to work and to re-0main healthy.
3. Living things cannot survive without food.
4. Food provides materials for repair of damaged cells and to replace dead cells in the body.
5. Food enables us to fight against infections.
6. Different people eat different types of food according to their habits, lifestyle, taste and the availability of food items.
7. The food habits of different states are different.
8. The materials or substances which are used to make that particular dish are called ingredients.
9. No matter which state one belongs to, we will find that the ingredients used are more or less the same.
10. Various food items which we eat daily are usually made up of more than one ingredients.
11. The main sources of our food are: Plants and Animals.
12. Plants are the source of food materials like cereals, pulses, vegetables, fruits, sugar, oils, spices, tea, coffee, etc.
13. Animals provide us food items like milk, egg, chicken, meat, honey, fish, etc.
14. The various parts of plants which are used as food materials are roots, stems, leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds, etc.
15. Carrot, sweet potato, beetroot, radish, turnip, etc., are the roots of their respective plants.
16. Garlic, turmeric, onion, potato, ginger, etc., are the stems of their respective plants.
17. Some flowers which are eaten as food are sunflower, broccoli, cauliflower, dandelion, etc.
18. Apple, pumpkin, brinjal, lady’s finger are fruits of their respective plants.
19. Foodgrains such as wheat, rice, maize, barley, millet, gram, peas and pulses are all seeds of their respective plants.
20. Animal products such as meat, egg, fish, milk, cheese, butter, curd, honey, etc., are eaten as food. These foods are rich in proteins.
21. Animals eat only a few types of food.
22. Some animals eat only plants and are known as herbivores, some eat flesh of other animals and are known as carnivores whereas some eat both plants as well as animals and are known as omnivores.
23. There are many people in our country who do not get sufficient food to eat.
24. Food is very precious, We should not waste food in any form.
Class 6 Science Chapter 1 Notes Important Terms
Food: Any substance that can be metabolized by living things to give energy, to build tissue and which provides mental stimulus for thinking is called food.
Ingredients: The materials or components which are used to prepare food are called ingredients.
Edible: Those parts of a plant which are suitable for consumption and harmless to humans are called edible.
Sprouts: Any new growth of a plant or a seed such as a white coloured tiny roots, a new branch or a bud is called sprouts.
Nectar: A sweet liquid secretion found in flowers that is attractive to pollinators is called nectar.
Herbivorous: Animals that feed chiefly on plant and plant products are called herbivorous.
Carnivorous: Animals which eat only the flesh of other animals as their food are called carnivorous.
Omnivorous: Animals which eat both plants, as well as animals, are called omnivorous.